EXPERIENCED FIRE DESIGNER
Engineering Design Consultants is looking for an experienced Fire Designer ready to take the next step in their career. This is a great chance to move into an established role where there is a clear career pathway with opportunities for advancement. We are a company with an exciting future with a vision to expand our Fire business, and you could be part of that!
Applicants should be familiar with implementing C/AS2, though if you have architectural fire detailing or Council inspection/processing experience you may also be considered.
EDC is a medium-sized, multi-cultural, and multi-disciplined engineering consultancy providing clients with an innovative, reliable, friendly service and creative solutions to ensure a smooth pathway from conception to completion. We have offices in Auckland, Christchurch, and the Bay of Plenty offering structural, civil, geotechnical, environmental and fire engineering services. We provide services predominantly for architects, developers, planners, surveyors and building owners.
You will be undertaking Fire Safety Design on a wide variety of projects including new and existing buildings, public residences, education sector, commercial buildings, apartment buildings, churches, and residential housing. You will mainly focus on applying Acceptable Solutions to uncommon and complex situations, using ANARP judgements and an understanding of Fire Engineering principles to provide tailored and robust advice. You will be trained to manage your own projects from start to finish, including developing client relationships, undertaking briefings and fee proposals, writing Fire Design Reports (incl. marking up drawings), providing construction detailing advice and undertaking construction monitoring. You will also be reviewing the work of other members of the team as you develop.
Our ongoing projects in the public sector give you an opportunity to make a difference by assessing existing buildings, communicating fire safety risks to the clients, and focusing remediation efforts on high-urgency items to improve the fire safety of existing buildings nationwide.
Our small-business ethos means your input on the direction of the fire team will be welcome, and you will have close integration with the Structural team and exposure to Civil, Environmental, and Geotechnical engineering teams. This is an opportunity to become a well-rounded building industry professional.
The role is available on a full-time or part-time basis. The role is advertised in Auckland but a suitable candidate could work from our Christchurch or Bay of Plenty offices.
Qualifications & Experience
You must be a NZ Citizen or have a full Residence permit.
At least two to three years’ experience as a Fire Designer in New Zealand. Alternatively, architectural or Council inspection/processing experience may also be considered. A tertiary qualification is preferred.
The following experience would be advantageous but not essential:
- Job Management: Experience with writing fee proposals, variations, achieving deadlines, invoicing.
- Staff Management: Experience with managing workloads for a team.
- Passive Fire Experience: Installing or designing passive fire protection.
- Good understanding of C/AS2, underlying principles, related building regulations and processes, and ability to apply these to specific building designs in the form of a Fire Design Report with annotated drawings.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interpret legislation.
- Ability to explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Intuition for fire behaviour.
- Ability to visualise 3D; spatial conceptual thinking.
- Ability to manage timeframes to ensure client deadlines are met, while delivering within financial targets.
- Good working knowledge of computers and relevant technical software.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships, both internally and externally.
- Aptitude to learn new tools and software as required.
- Methodical approach to problem solving.
- Strong work ethic.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Sound organisational skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously.
- A passion for Fire Safety Design.
- Full clean NZ car driver’s licence.
- A team player with sound interpersonal skills.