We are looking for an enthusiastic, technically excellent go-getter to continue guiding our fantastic team of civil engineers. Take your career to the next level as you step into this management role, while allowing time to keep your eye in on technical tasks. If you enjoy coaching junior staff, working hands on with clients, managing projects, and working with a great team, look no further. We are a company with an exciting future, and you could be part of that.
Engineering Design Consultants Ltd (EDC) is a medium-sized, multi-cultural, and multi-disciplined engineering consultancy providing clients with an innovative, reliable, friendly service and creative solutions to ensure a smooth pathway from conception to completion. We have offices in Auckland, Christchurch, and the Bay of Plenty offering structural, civil, geotechnical, environmental and fire engineering services predominantly for architects, developers, planners, surveyors and building owners.
To contribute to the success of EDC in achieving its business and strategic goals by supervising the Auckland Civil Team, plus providing technical advice and support to the Christchurch and Bay of Plenty offices’ Civil Teams. To deliver high quality professional consulting services to clients ensuring consistent levels of satisfaction, repeat business and opportunities for new business, as well as to assisting with development of the Civil team.
- Manage AKL Civil employee performance, workflow, work hours, etc. in accordance with company Policy and Procedures (with support from People & Culture);
- Complete monthly invoicing (AKL Civil team targets provided);
- To prepare fee proposals and engage with existing and prospective clients;
- Communicate and coordinate in a professional manner with other project stakeholders, to deliver successful project documentation and outcomes to required deadlines;
- Ensure that the AKL Civil team follow company Policy and Procedure processes;
- Review training and mentoring requirements of AKL Civil employees, provide relevant recommendations to Civil Director;
- Participate in AKL Civil employee review process (6monthly);
- Participate in Strategic Planning sessions as requested.
The following list are examples, and not a comprehensive list:
- General Civil consulting engineering reporting, design and supervision/certification works covering stormwater, wastewater, water supply, earthworks, sediment control, and roading infrastructure for land development, commercial developments, and infrastructure projects;
- Monitor and be accountable for project performance against commercial objectives including budget analysis;
- Liaison with clients and their professional advisors;
- Co-ordinating projects with other members of staff and clients or their agents;
- Review and consolidate existing EDC Civil systems, including specifications, software and design standards working alongside other staff and management in this role.
Quality and Health & Safety:
- To ensure that all work undertaken, and behaviour exhibited is in accordance with appropriate professional and technical standards and in accordance with ENZ Code of Ethics and AS/NZS Standards;
- Maintain up to date knowledge of guidelines, technical standards, legislation, and codes of practice relevant to Civil Engineering practice in New Zealand;
- Assist Civil Director with training and mentoring of other staff;
- Ensure all projects have the appropriate documents completed and checked;
- Implement Safety in Design requirements in relevant designs.
- Client liaison, marketing, and networking to ensure client satisfaction, repeat business and identification of new opportunities in the market;
- Promote the services of the company and specifically actively participate in obtaining Civil work for this section;
- Liaison with other discipline areas of the business to provide a total service solution to clients;
- Identify project risks for all tasks and address them properly.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 7 years professional experience in Civil engineering;
- Management experience is an advantage;
- A tertiary qualification in Civil engineering;
- Chartered Professional (CPEng) or final stages of completing application.
Skills, Knowledge and Personal Attributes:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- A track record in Civil engineering assessments and design across a variety of projects;
- Good working knowledge of computers and relevant technical software, e.g. AutoCAD, Civil 3D;
- Ability to build and maintain relationships, both internally and externally;
- Aptitude to learn new tools / software as required;
- Desire to maintain professional knowledge through up skilling and on-going training and/or development;
- Self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously.